Breaking News

Baltimore man who was paid nearly $8M in Gun Task Trace Force settlement is charged with attempted murder in Virginia

 A Baltimore man recently paid nearly $8 million by the city for the Gun Trace Task Force scandal was arrested Thursday for allegedly shooting a woman in Virginia.

Umar Burley, 50, was charged with malicious wounding and attempted murder, according to the Harrisonburg Police Department.

Police said officers were called to the Motel 6 at 3210 S. Main St. around 10 a.m. for a shooting. A woman was at the motel suffering from a gunshot wound, police said, and was transported by air to the University of Virginia Medical Center.

The woman is in stable condition, police said, with serious injuries.

Witnesses told officers that Burley fled in a U-Haul truck and police pursued him on Interstate 81 into Shenandoah County where the Virginia State Police stopped him just north of the Town of Woodstock.

The department said it believes the incident is isolated. It added that the investigation is ongoing.

In November, Burley and his friend Brent Matthews were awarded nearly $8 million for drugs that were planted in their vehicle in 2010. They both served federal prison time.

The settlement was historic, eclipsing the $6.4 million settlement paid to the family of Freddie Gray, who died of injuries suffered while in police custody in 2015.

Burley was in his vehicle with Matthews as a passenger when Wayne Jenkins, Sean Suiter and a third officer tried to box in the car, saying they’d seen a drug transaction. Burley, who says he did not know the men were officers, sped off and collided with another vehicle, killing 86-year-old Elbert Davis and injuring his 81-year-old wife.

The settlement includes the city taking responsibility for a civil judgment Burley owes to Davis’ family that was imposed in 2014 and has since grown with interest as it went unpaid.

Burley served seven years in prison after the 2010 drug-planting incident and also was convicted of manslaughter in state court, while Matthews served 2½ years in prison.

More than a dozen officers have been charged and convicted in federal court, and hundreds of criminal cases brought by the officers have been dropped or vacated.

Jenkins, who would go on to lead the Gun Trace Task Force, pleaded guilty to civil rights violations for participating in the cover-up, though he insists he did not plant the drugs. He is serving 25 years in prison for crimes including robberies and selling drugs.

Suiter was fatally shot in the head the day before he was to testify in front of a grand jury about the incident. His death has been ruled an unsolved homicide.

Source -

No comments